FCS is a progressive Quaker K-8 day school with small class sizes, serving a diverse student body from Prince George’s County, Montgomery County, and nearby Washington, DC. We offer a challenging curriculum imbued with strong values of equality, integrity, community, environmental stewardship, simplicity, and peaceful conflict resolution, rooted in our Quaker heritage. Faculty and staff are highly engaged, and enjoy the flexibility, autonomy, and creativity associated with progressive education. FCS provides competitive salary and benefits, including leadership and professional development opportunities. Our green campus is located within minutes of the Beltway, easily accessible to public transportation and bike trails, surrounded by Greenbelt National Park.
The Third/Fourth Grade Teacher at FCS:
· Teaches a classroom 16-18 students in a multi-disciplinary program of Language Arts, Math, and Social Studies.
· In keeping with progressive practice, supports the academic, social, and emotional development of the whole child.
· Communicates with parents on a regular basis in writing and in person.
· Writes detailed progress reports and conducts parent-teacher conferences.
· Works collaboratively with colleagues to build a learning community.
· Embraces and promotes equity and inclusion, social justice, environmental stewardship, and peaceful conflict resolution, in line with the school’s values.
· 4-year college degree; advanced degree(s) preferred.
· 3 years of teaching experience.
· Understanding of child development and progressive education.
· Familiarity with reading/writing workshop model from Teacher's College, Columbia University.
· Experience with math teaching practices in numeracy, problem-solving, modeling, fluency, and more.
· Excellent classroom management (familiarity with Responsive Classroom or other social/emotional program preferred).
· Effective communication skills in writing and in person.
· Skillful use of school technology (such as smartboards, Google suite, Blackbaud).
· Experience working collaboratively.
FCS is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive educational community and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.