Friends Community School in College Park, Maryland, seeks a full-time Kindergarten Teacher.
FCS is a progressive Quaker K-8 day school with small class sizes, serving a diverse student body from Prince George’s County, Montgomery County, and nearby Washington, DC. We offer a challenging curriculum imbued with strong values of equality, integrity, community, environmental stewardship, simplicity, and peaceful conflict resolution, rooted in our Quaker heritage. Faculty and staff are highly engaged, and enjoy the flexibility, autonomy, and creativity associated with progressive education. FCS provides competitive salary and benefits, including professional development opportunities such as NAIS People of Color Conference, CAPS, Quakerism workshops, and more. Our green campus is located within minutes of the Beltway, surrounded by Greenbelt National Park.
The Kindergarten Teacher at FCS:
- Teaches a classroom of 12-14 students in a multi-disciplinary Kindergarten program.
- Supports the academic, social, and emotional development of the whole child, consistent with progressive practices.
- Communicates clearly and consistently, building partnerships with parents.
- Writes detailed progress reports and leads parent-teacher conferences.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues in a team setting and contributes to the school community.
- Embraces and promotes social justice, environmental stewardship, equality, and other Quaker values.
- 4-year college degree; advanced degree(s) preferred.
- 3 years of teaching experience.
- Understanding of progressive education practices.
- Familiarity with reading/writing workshop model from Teacher's College, Columbia University.
- Familiarity with multisensory/hands-on math instructional techniques and teaching programs that support a broad range of student learning styles.
- Familiarity with Responsive Classroom or other social/emotional classroom management program.
- Effective communication skills in writing and in person.
- Comfort using school technology.
- Experience working collaboratively.
FCS is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive educational community and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, color, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.